Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,414 pages of information and 211,641 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Albert Ernest Sculthorpe Minett (1883-1916)
1916 Obituary 
ALBERT ERNEST SCULTHORPE MINETT was born at Fakenham, Norfolk, on 13th July 1883.
He was educated at schools in Blackpool and Manchester, and in 1897 worked for seven months in the shops of Messrs. Heaton and Smith, electrical engineers, of Salford.
This was followed by a year in the works of Messrs. S. Z. de Ferranti, Ltd., of Hollinwood.
In September 1899 he went as an improver in the works of Messrs. Dorman and Smith, electrical engineers, of Salford, and two years later was engaged for a short time at the Birmingham branch of the Jones and Lamson's Machine Tool Co., of Springfield, United States.
After a short term at the Deptford Station of the London Electric Lighting Co., he left in June 1902 to enter the Polytechnic School of Engineering, where he remained one year. He then studied at the City and Guilds of London Central Technical College until 1906, when he gained the diploma of A.C.G.I.
In July of the same year he became assistant to the chief engineer of Messrs. Fry, Miers and Co., London, and was engaged on inspecting work, testing of boilers and engines, etc.
In October of the following year he went to India to take up the post of assistant engineer in the Public Works Department in Burma, and subsequently became Executive Engineer of the Ruby Mines Sub-division of the Myitkyina Division.
This position he held until his death, which took place at Rangoon, after an operation for appendicitis, on 12th June 1916, in his thirty-third year.
He was elected a Graduate of this Institution in 1903, and an Associate Member in 1912.
1916 Obituary 
ALBERT ERNEST SCULTHORPE MINETT, born on the 13th July, 1883, died in Burma on the 12th June, 1916.
After serving for a time on the staff of Messrs. Fry, Miers and Company, Engineers, Cannon Street, he was appointed in 1907 Assistant Engineer in the Public Works Department of India. Latterly, and at the date of his untimely death, he was employed in Burma.
He was elected an Associate Member on the 7th December, 1909.