Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,518 pages of information and 233,949 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Alexander Milne Dunlop (1841-1897)
1897 Obituary 
ALEXANDER MILNE DUNLOP was born in Aberdeenshire on the 9th June, 1841, and educated at the High School, Glasgow.
He commenced his career in the office of Mr. Peter MacBey, of Elgin, a surveyor and valuer of the old school, under whom he obtained a thorough grounding in every branch of work, accompanying his tutor in visits to the numerous large estates under the latter’s control.
In 1860 Mr. Dunlop came to London and entered the office of the late Mr. H. E. Marsh, of Charlotte Row, as surveyor.
After five years’ routine work he undertook the agency of large estates in Cheshire; but shortly afterwards was sent to the West Coast of Africa, where he surveyed and reported upon properties extending from Gambia to the Gold Coast.
On his return to England he commenced business on his own account in Victoria Street, Westminster, and a few years afterwards removed to 3 Old Palace Yard, and recently to 53 Parliament Street.
In 1871 Mr. Dunlop visited the United States and Canada, and was so struck with the wheat-growing capabilities of the States, that on his return, when presiding at a meeting of farmers in the North of England, he urged the laying down of land to permanent pasture. The idea was ridiculed by the Press but has unhappily been fully justified by the course of events.
Mr. Dunlop also travelled throughout the Continent of Europe, collecting data connected with the various systems of land tenure and the habits of agricultural and mining populations.
Perhaps the most important undertaking of Mr. Dunlop was his conduct of the whole of the valuations and negotiations in connection with the Manchester Ship Canal and the new line of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway.
He was largely engaged in arbitration cases in connection with most of the great railway companies and was a surveyor to the Board of Trade and the Charity Commissioners.
He held a very responsible position in Wales as Managing Director of the Oakeley Slate Quarries at Blaenau Festiniog. When compelled by ill-health to retire from that position, after twenty-one years’ service, he was the recipient of a gratifying testimonial from the 1,600 workmen employed.
Mr. Dunlop was for many years chairman of the Festiniog Local Board and took a great practical interest in all matters affecting the welfare of that district. He was a member of the Reform and other clubs, a President of the Caledonian Society, a Governor of the Caledonian Asylum and of the Scottish Hospital, and a Vice-President of the Surveyors’ Institution.
He was elected an Associate on the 7th February, 1871.
Mr. Dunlop died on the 5th January, 1807, at his residence, 11 Norfolk Street, Park Lane.
1897 Obituary 
ALEXANDER MILNE DUNLOP died at 11 Norfolk Street, Park Lane, London, on January 5, 1897. He was educated at the High School, Glasgow, and commenced his professional career in the office of Mr. Peter MacBey of Elgin, estate agent and surveyor. He afterwards entered the London office of Mr. H. E. Marsh as surveyor.
After carrying out important and extensive surveys in Africa, he returned to London and commenced business in Victoria Street, Westminster, afterwards removing to Old Palace Yard. He visited the United States and Canada, and travelled throughout Europe on business connected with agricultural and mining properties. His most important work was the conduct of the whole of the valuations and negotiations, in connection with the Manchester Ship Canal, and the new line of the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire Railway.
He was also largely, engaged in various arbitration cases in connection with the great railway companies. He was one of the surveyors to the Board of Trade and to the Charity Commissioners, and was managing director of the Oakeley Slate Quarries at Festiniog.
He was an Associate of the Institution of Civil Engineers, and a Vice-President of the Surveyors' Institution. He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1888.