Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,508 pages of information and 233,942 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1847 The Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway (MS&LR) was formed, by amalgamation of the following lines:
1850 January 1st. The company appointed James Allport as manager.
1854 The company appointed Edward Watkin as Manager
1875 See 1875 Number of Locomotives where they are listed 6th with 374 locomotives.
1888 See Locomotive Stock June 1888 where they are listed 9th with 549 locomotives
1890 Alexander Ross became chief engineer
1893 Obtained Parliamentary approval for its so-called "Extension to London".
In the 1890s the M.S.& L.R. began construction of its "Derbyshire Lines", in effect the first part of its push southwards. Leaving its east-west main line at Beighton Junction, some 5.5 miles east of Sheffield, the line headed towards Nottingham, an opportunity to tap into the collieries in the north of county before reaching that city. A loop line was built to serve Chesterfield.
1895 Work on building the London Extension started: the new line was 92 miles in length. It ran from Annesley in Nottinghamshire to its connection with the existing Metropolitan Railway Extension at Quainton Road, this part of the line being jointly owned, returning to its own metals at Harrow for the final section to Marylebone.
1896 Charles Arthur Rowlandson appointed engineer-in-chief
1898 The London Extension opened for coal traffic on 25 July 1898; for passenger traffic on 15 March 1899, and for goods traffic on 11 April 1899.
1897 the company changed its name to the Great Central Railway. At the same time the headquarters of the Railway was moved from Manchester to London (Marylebone).