Aluminum Company of America
1888 Charles Martin Hall, with backing from Captain Alfred E. Hunt for his aluminium reduction process using electrolysis, incorporated The Pittsburgh Reduction Company and opened a pilot production facility on Smallman Street, Pittsburgh.
1891 The company moved its operations to New Kensington, PA, where it scaled up to produce aluminium ingots as well as fabricated aluminium products.
For many years, no other company in the world could match the breadth and depth of Alcoa's aluminium production.
1902 The Northern Aluminum Company, the Canadian subsidiary of the Pittsburgh Reduction Company. was founded.
1903 The engine block and crankcase of the engine used by the Wright Brothers were cast from aluminium supplied by The Pittsburgh Reduction Company.
1907 The Pittsburgh Reduction Company changed its name to The Aluminum Company of America (unofficially Alcoa)
1998 The Aluminum Company of America officially changed its name to Alcoa