Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,372 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1888 Charles Martin Hall, with backing from Captain Alfred E. Hunt for his aluminium reduction process using electrolysis, incorporated The Pittsburgh Reduction Company and opened a pilot production facility on Smallman Street, Pittsburgh.
1891 The company moved its operations to New Kensington, PA, where it scaled up to produce aluminium ingots as well as fabricated aluminium products.
Works were also erected at Niagara, where power was obtained from the Falls.
For many years, no other company in the world could match the breadth and depth of the company's aluminium production.
1902 The Northern Aluminum Company, the Canadian subsidiary of the Pittsburgh Reduction Company, was founded.
1903 The engine block and crankcase of the engine used by the Wright Brothers were cast from aluminium supplied by The Pittsburgh Reduction Company.
by 1904 the company was operating 3 works using the Hall process for electrolytic production of aluminium, with another under development at Massena