1796 The will of John Anderson (1726-1796) specified that his estate was to be used to found a new university in Glasgow but the full scheme was impractical. His executors established Anderson's Institution
1796 Anderson's College was founded as Anderson's Institution
The first Chair created was that of Chemistry and Natural Philosophy; Thomas Garnett was appointed to be Professor.
Garnett was succeeded by George Birkbeck
1823 The mechanics' class of the Andersonian Institution seceded from the main institution, leading to the formation of the Glasgow Mechanics' Institution.
Renamed as Anderson's University
1886 The non-medical part of the institution was incorporated with five other establishments under the name of Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College
1903 Moved into new building
1912 Renamed the Royal Technical College.
Later became Strathclyde University