Andreas Peter Lundberg
Andreas Peter Lundberg (1831-1926), founder of A. P. Lundberg and Sons
1926 Obituary 
ANDREAS PETER LUNDBERG, who died on the 22nd February, 1926, was born on the 7th March, 1831, at Bjorneborg's Bruk, Wermland, Sweden.
He was apprenticed to a mathematical instrument maker in Stockholm. At the end of his apprenticeship, King Oscar I of Sweden personally secured for him a premium from the Government to enable him to visit foreign countries and so extend his experience. This followed the making of some special nautical instruments which were presented to the Crown Prince (afterwards Oscar II of Sweden) by some of his brother officers in the Navy. The Society of Arts and Trades in Stockholm, as a tribute to the excellent workmanship then displayed, presented Mr. Lundberg with its diploma and silver medal.
He was the maker of the intricate Scheutz calculating machine, which was put into use in Somerset House and in the United States, after being shown at the Paris Exhibition of 1855. Subsequently he was employed by various mechanical firms in France, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Russia, etc., and also as an engineer in the Russian Navy.
In 1862 he visited England, where he became a naturalized British subject and remained until his death. He was employed, either as workman or foreman, by Messrs. Thomas Cooke and Sons of York, by Mr. John Browning, and by Messrs. Troughton and Simms.
Later, he joined Messrs. Siemens Brothers, and while with that firm acted as foreman of the cable shop and also as assistant engineer on board the original C.S. "Faraday," when the first section of the direct United States cable was laid in 1874.
After a venture in business on his own account in Bayswater, he was engaged in 1879 by Colonel R. E. Crompton, C.B., who was just then entering the profession.
Mr. Lundberg was always proud of the fact that he was Col. Crompton's first man at Chelmsford, where he assisted in the development of the early types of Crompton arc lamps, etc. He also acted as this firm's representative at the first great Electrical Exhibition, which was held in Paris in 1880 and 1881.
In 1882 he founded the firm of A. P. Lundberg and Sons and invented and manufactured the numerous requirements which became necessary as lighting by electric glow lamps developed, such as switches, plug connectors, lampholders and kindred apparatus. His firm also developed an examination scheme in electric switching, installation work, etc. This scheme brought home to many, who had previously given no thought to it, the possibilities of the subject.
He joined the Institution in 1894 as an Associate, and became a Member in 1898