Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,060 pages of information and 227,655 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1872 Scottish businessmen led by Blair and Gilmour of Kilmarnock negotiated with Rowland Winn of Appleby Hall near Scunthorpe, for the erection of ironworks. Like the Lincolnshire Iron Smelting Co, the firm was one of William Lovell's promotions.
By 7 September 1874 an agreement was finally reached to take fifteen acres in Appleby parish upon which two furnaces were to be built, with bosh diameters of no more than twenty-three feet. A further two furnaces were to be built within the first four years.
The company was registered on 7 October 1874 under the name of the Appleby Iron Co Ltd although locally it was known as the 'Scotch Company'.
It was 1876 before Appleby's first furnaces were ready for blowing.
The second furnace was blown-in some little time later. These furnaces were rather small compared to others in the area, being only sixty-two feet high with eighteen foot boshes.
1912 The Appleby Company was taken over by the Frodingham Iron Co and became the Appleby-Frodingham Steel Co; half of the shares in the company continued to be held by the Steel Company of Scotland