Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,981 pages of information and 233,621 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Apsley site was a mill at the time of the Domesday Book (1086) and had certainly been there at least 100 years prior to that.
1778 Apsley Mill first made paper; it was known as Mill No 403 in the Excise List.
1809 Bought by John Dickinson
By 1888 it had ceased to make paper. Thereafter the Mill concentrated on converting paper from the John Dickinson and Co’s other mills into stationery, particularly envelopes, cards and ledgers. Also made laminated card for railway tickets, etc. by pasting layers of paper/board together.
In 1933 100 million envelopes were made weekly at Apsley Mill
By 1937 5,000 people were employed.
Later part of DRG (Dickinson Robinson Group)
1990 The mill closed.