Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,016 pages of information and 212,992 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Arthur Barnhart Kendal (1875-1940)
1940 Obituary 
ARTHUR BARNHART KENDAL retired in 1935 after nearly forty years engineering work of a varied nature. After leaving King Edward VI Grammar School, Stratford on Avon, he was apprenticed to Messrs. Forrestt and Sons, Ltd., Wyvenhoe, Essex, and London, engineers and shipbuilders, from 1893 to 1896, after which he was employed as a draughtsman by the firm. He then went as chief draughtsman to Mr. J. T. Crampton, engineer and shipbuilder, of Portsmouth.
In 1899 he was made assistant inspecting engineer to the superintending engineer and constructor of shipping,Woolwich Arsenal, where he was employed on the design and construction of vessels for the War Department and Customs. Two years later Mr. Kendal took up the appointment of assistant engineer to Messrs. Mayoh and Haley, London and Manchester, being responsible for the charge of plant and the erection of steelwork for the British Westinghouse Company's works, Manchester.
He was works manager to Clerkenwell Engineers (formerly the Thomas Manufacturing Company), motor and general engineers, from 1905 to 1907, when he went to St. Pancras Iron Works, Ltd., London, in the capacity of assistant engineer; while in this employment he was responsible for the erection of bridges and buildings for the exhibition at the White City. From 1908 until his retirement he was works manager, later becoming managing director of the Capewell Horse Nail Company, Ltd., of Hadley, Salop, and London; the firm later became known as Metaline Products Ltd. (Leicester).
Mr. Kendal was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1912. He was born in 1875, and died on 2nd April 1940.