Bengal and Assam Railway
1947 At time of the independence of India, the Bengal and Assam Railway was split up and the portion of the system, about 2,603.92 km long which fell within the boundary of erstwhile East Pakistan was named as Eastern Bengal Railway, the control remaining with the central Government of Pakistan.
The portions of the Bengal Assam Railway which lay in Assam and the Indian part of North Bengal became the Assam Railway.
1952 The North Eastern Railway was formed by amalgamating the Assam Railway with Oudh Tirhut Railway and Fatehgarh district of Bombay, Baroda and Central India Railway.
1958 The Northeast Frontier Railway was carved out of North Eastern Railway.
On 1 February 1961, the Eastern Bengal Railway was renamed as the Pakistan Railway
1962 it became the Pakistan Eastern Railway. With the emergence of Bangladesh, it became Bangladesh Railway.
After the independence on of Pakistan in 15 August 1947 the broad-gauge portion of the Bengal-Assam Railway, lying in India was added to the East Indian Railway and the metre-gauge portion became the Assam Railway, with its headquarters at Pandu. On 14 April 1952 the 2857 km long Assam Railway and the Oudh and Tirhut Railway were amalgamated to form one of the six newly carved zones of the Indian Railways: the North Eastern Railway (India). On the same day, the reorganized Sealdah division of the erstwhile Bengal Assam Railway (which was added to the East Indian Railway earlier) was amalgamated with the Eastern Railway.