Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,143 pages of information and 223,038 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Kenilworth were motorcycles produced from 1919 to 1924.
The first machine was built by Captain Smith-Clarke for his wife, and put into production firstly by Booth Brothers (of Coventry), and then by Kenilworth Utility Motors of Much Park Street, also in Coventry.
1919 This machine was a small motorcycle with a central engine and 18-inch wheels, front and rear suspension and some pannelling to enclose the rear wheel. However, without a saddle it had the open frame of a scooter. It was fitted with a 142cc Norman four-stroke engine, driven by Whittle belt to a countershaft with chain final-drive.
A saddle was soon added, linked by a subframe to footboards and all sprung together for comfort.
1922 A clutch was incorporated.
1923 A handle starter was fitted, when the transmission changed to friction with variable ratios and a three-wheeled box carrier model was devised. By now production had moved to Much Park Street, and the machine had become the sporting Miniature motorcycle. The Norman engine was enlarged to 170cc, but the friction transmission remained.
1924 Although the Kenilworth had outlasted most of its competitors, production ended during that year.