Bricklayers' Arms Station
1844 Increasing congestion at London Bridge, and dissatisfaction with the high tolls charged by the London and Greenwich Railway, caused the South Eastern Railway and the London and Croydon Railway to build a short branch line to a new terminus at Bricklayers Arms. All of the Croydon company's trains and half of the South Eastern trains were diverted to the new station.
Early 1850s: the line, which had been built on piles, was put on an embankment.
1866 Passenger trains continued to use the Bricklayer's Arms station until 1866 after which it was used just for goods.
Sources of Information
- The Times , May 2, 1844
- History of the Southern Railway, by C F Dendy Marshall, 1968