Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,009 pages of information and 229,287 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Britax (London) Ltd., a supplier of accessories for motorcycles and cars, of Maida Vale, London NW6
See also -
1949-56 Maker of motorcycles
1956 Britax returned to the accessory business but took over the Cyclemaster line for a while.
By 1960 the company's address was Byfleet - presumably part of Proctor Industries by this time.
1961 Mr O. A. Proctor acquired Excelsior Motor Co and presumably transferred Proctor Industries, including Britax, into it.
1963 As part of a reorganisation the Britax safety belt business was injected into the Excelsior Motor Co; this led to a substantial turn-around in its commercial fortunes; the company's mechanism for safety belts had been accepted in Germany and Sweden
1963 Motor Show exhibitor. Seat belts
c.1966 Excelsior Motor Co acquired P. M. G. Thorpe and Notek Electric Co; already owned Britax (London) and Proctor Industries; O. A. Proctor was chairman of Excelsior; the new legislation was expected to boost demand for car safety belts and the factory had been extended to double capacity; sales of automatic belts were rising as was demand for control cables
c1968 Name of the parent company was changed to Britax Excelsior Ltd, presumably reflecting the major part that Britax products, particularly safety belts, played in the success of the business.