Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,029 pages of information and 213,093 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1816 David Napier's first marine engine, for the steamboat Marion, was completed early in 1816.
1821 Robert Napier succeeded his cousin David Napier in the occupancy of Camlachie Foundry; among his first orders was a contract for supplying the large iron pipes used by the Glasgow Water Works Company. He was constantly employed in the construction of boilers and land engines.
1821 Robert Napier engaged in iron-founding and engineering at Camlachie, at the east end of Glasgow, where, in 1823, he made his first marine engine for the 'Leven' steamboat, built to ply between Dumbarton and G1asgow.
1821 David Napier remained at Camlachie for about seven years, at which point the increase in the engineering business prompted a move to new, larger works which he had erected at Lancefield.
1823 Napier made his first marine engine at Camlachie for the 'Leven' steamboat, built to ply between Dumbarton and G1asgow.
The success of this engine led rapidly to other orders for marine engines so that Napier found it necessary, in 1828, to move to larger and more convenient premises in Washington Street, adjoining Glasgow harbour.
1835 Napier added to these premises the engineering works at Lancefield, and, in 1841, the shipbuilding yard at Govan, about 1 mile from Glasgow.