Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,369 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1916-1917 The original airship shed (also see Royal Airship Works) was built for the Admiralty of steel-framed structure, with an overall width of 254 ft., a length of 700ft., and a clear height at the centre of 110 ft.
1924 The Government decided to build two airships of 5,000,000 cubic feet capacity each, it became at once obvious that the existing shed at Cardington would be much too small to house them.
It was necessary to increase the length by 112ft., and its height by 35ft. In addition, it was decided to erect a mooring tower, in order to enable airships to be berthed without incurring the expenditure of time and the unavoidable risks incidental to housing the vessels within the shed.
The reconstruction of the shed was carried out by the Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Co
For full details of the extension, see The Engineer 1927/03/04 p 230