Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,775 pages of information and 210,006 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Charles Barry (1823-1900).
1900 Obituary 
CHARLES BARRY, born on the 21st September, 1823, was the eldest son of the late Sir Charles Barry.
After being educated at Sevenoaks Grammar School he was engaged for some years as an assistant to his father on the new Palace at Westminster and other important works.
In 1849 he commenced business on his own account, in partnership with the late R. R. Banks, and acquired an extensive and varied practice, both as an architect and as a surveyor.
Since 1858 he held the post of Architect and Surveyor to the Dulwich College Estate, which was developed and improved under his direction; he erected the new College, altered and added to the old College, and built two large churches and several houses on the estate.
In 1880 he was appointed architect to the Duke of Newcastle’s trustees for large additions to Clumber House.
Among Mr. Barry’s public works may be mentioned New Burlington House, Piccadilly, for the Government ; Dulwich College; the Royal Exchange roof for the Gresham Committee ; and the Alexandra Wing and Grocers’ Wing of the London Hospital at Mile End, the estate of which he managed for several years.
He had considerable experience in compensation and in light and air cases, both as a witness and as an arbitrator, and was frequently called on to act as assessor in important architectural competitions, including that for the Glasgow Municipal Buildings.
Mr. Barry acted as a Commissioner at two of the International Exhibitions at South Kensington, and in 1878 he was appointed British Commissioner for Architecture in the Fine Arts section of the Paris Exhibition. In recognition of his services on that occasion the French Government, at the instance of the Prince of Wales, created him an officer of the Legion of Honour. Mr. Barry was elected President of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1876, and in the following year he was awarded the Queen’s Gold Medal of that Institute. He was also a Member of the Society of Antiquaries, a Member of Council of the Society of Arts, and an Honorary Member of the Imperial and Royal Academy of Arts of Vienna.
He died at Worthing on the 2nd June, 1900, in his 76th year.
Mr. Barry was elected an Associate of this Institution on the 4th December, 1894, and was the architect of the present building.