Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,459 pages of information and 233,880 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Chell Motor Company of Moorfield Road, Wolverhampton.
Chell were motorcycles produced from 1938 to 1939. Production only lasted for a few months. The company first announced a pair of lightweights with Villiers engines.
In April 1939, details of the Chell Lightweight appeared in the 'Motor Cycle and Cycle Trader' magazine. The machine, which sold for £25.10s., had a loop frame and was fitted with a 125c.c., or a 98c.c., two stroke Villiers engine, and had twin exhaust pipes, which terminated in tubular silencers.
There were pressed-steel front forks and a two gallon petrol tank. The machine had an 18watt electric light and was complete with air cleaner on the carburettor, a horn, number plates, central stand, licence holder, tyre inflator, a toolbox complete with tools, and Dunlop tyres. A Smith's lightweight speedometer could be fitted to the machine for an extra 35 shillings.
Both engines fitted into a loop frame with pressed steel forks. The brakes were four-inch drums and ignition and lights were provided by flywheel magneto. It had petroil lubrication and rear suspension was an option.
The onset of war brought production to a close.