Chester Leadworks
1799 Thomas Walker and Thomas Maltby started to build a lead works on the outskirts of Chester, on a site on the outskirts of Chester, located adjacent to the Chester Canal.
A rail connection was added following construction of Chester General Railway Station.
The works continued to operate at the same site for over 200 years. The business names were: Thomas Walker, Maltby and Co; then Joshua Walker, Maltby and Co; Joshua Walker, Parker and Co; Joseph Walker, Parker and Co; Walkers, Parker and Co (or variations on this name). In 1919 the business was one of several which joined to form Associated Lead Manufacturers Ltd. In 1949 the members ceased to use their individual company names.
1979 Smelting ceased at the Chester works, but a number of other products continued to be produced.
The 168 ft lead shot tower, built in 1799, was saved when the site was cleared for development. An external lift had been added in 1971, but this has been removed. The tower had been the most prominent feature until a 300 ft brick chimney was completed in 1958.
The history and activities of the works are described in great detail in An Illustrated History of Chester Leadworks by Geoff Pickard [1]
See Also
Sources of Information
- ↑ 'An Illustrated History of Chester Leadworks' by Geoff Pickard, Lightmoor Press