Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,518 pages of information and 233,949 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Chester and Connah's Quay Railway

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

The Chester and Connah's Quay Railway ran from Northgate station in Chester to Shotton in Wales. It was built by the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway (which later became the Great Central Railway) and was opened on 31 March 1890.

At Dee Marsh Junction it connected with the North Wales and Liverpool Railway. It then crossed the River Dee by means of Hawarden Bridge before joining the Wrexham, Mold and Connah's Quay Railway at Shotton.

The only section of the Chester and Connah's Quay Railway which remains in use is between Dee Marsh Junction and Shotton, forming part of the Borderlands Line. The rest of the line closed to passenger trains in 1969 and to freight trains in 1992.

The closure was precipitated by the closure of Ravenscraig steelworks in Motherwell, Scotland, as latterly most trains using the line ran between Ravenscraig and Shotton


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information