Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,020 pages of information and 227,378 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1863 The Chigwell and Woodford Bridge Gas Company was formed
1873 the company changed its name as a result of the Chigwell, Loughton and Woodford Gas Act of 1873.
The company works were situated at Chigwell High Road, Woodford Bridge.
The Chigwell company was also provided with a bulk supply of gas by the West Ham Gas Co.
1912 After the Gas Light and Coke Co. had taken over the West Ham undertaking it also took over the Chigwell undertaking on the 1 Jan 1912.
The manufacturing works was closed down in 1912 with supply being provided from Beckton Gasworks, however the Chigwell site continued in use as a holder station.