Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,314 pages of information and 227,857 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1846 The West Ham Gas Company was formed as a non-statutory Gas Co. by Deed of Settlement
1855 Made an agreement with the Commercial Gas Co to acquire its mains, etc. within the Parish of West Ham and to split the area of supply in which they overlapped, the West Ham company restricting itself to Essex and the Commercial company to Middlesex.
1856 The company gained statutory status
Its works were situated on Union Street, Stratford, on the Channelsea River with access across the river to railway sidings.
The company provided a bulk supply to the Chigwell, Loughton and Woodford Gas Co.
1908 The Gas Light and Coke Co. began negotiations to take over the West Ham company
1909 West Ham's Chairman, Joseph Lister Godlee, joined the Gas Light and Coke Co's Court in 1909.
1910 Amalgamation Act formalised the merger of the 2 companies.
The Gas Light and Coke Co modernised the works at Stratford.