Clan Line Steamers
From Graces Guide
of Hope Street, Glasgow
1878 Mr. C. W. Cayzer founded Cayzer, Irvine and Co with the S.S. Clan Alpine and S.S. Clan Fraser, of 2,080 tons each built at Linthouse by Alexander Stephen and Sons. Mr. John Muir, of James Finlay and Co, was associated with this venture and the Stephens gave an extension of the terms of payment for their vessels, to facilitate the foundation of the new company. It since became known as the Clan Line.
In a few years Mr. Cayzer was able to dispense with outside assistance and take full control of the business.
New ships were acquired from Stephens in batches of two or three about every third year
1890 The company was registered on 26 June. 
1900 Clan Line adopted the Doxford-turret type of vessel, which was reputed to save much in Suez Canal dues through small tonnage measurement. This turret form came to be regarded as the mark of a Clan Line ship until about 1911 to 1913, when two shelter-deck ships, the Clan MacNaughton and Clan MacQuarrie, of 5,000 tons each, were built at Linthouse, completing a total of nineteen ships and 54,000 gross tons for this Line.
1918 Acquired the Mid-Cartsdyke yard in Greenock from Grangemouth Dockyard Co, which then supplied all its requirements for new ships.
1926 Mr Alexander Cross appointed as Chief Superintendent Engineer
Sources of Information
- The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908
- The Times, Mar 02, 1955