Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,135 pages of information and 233,678 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
These motorcycles were produced from 1902 to 1905, by the Garrard Manufacturing Co in Birmingham.
1902 Charles Garrard (presumably Charles Riley Garrard) began to import the French 143cc Clement clip-on engine unit to fit a standard bicycle. This was sold as the Clement-Garrard. It had an overhead exhaust valve, small crankcase and large external flywheel. Fitted inclined to the down-tube inside the frame, it drove the rear wheel by belt over a jockey pulley. Frames for the new model were made by Norton who also dealt with spares and repairs for Garrard and used a 160cc Clément engine for his own first Norton motorcycle.
1903 A 3hp narrow-angle V-twin model joined the single. It was intended for tandems but was used by Garrard in competition.
1904 A new design was offered. This had the engine vertically mounted just behind the front wheel, its weight hung from the down-tube and braced to the bottom bracket. Most of the frame was occupied by the tank and its compartments. Belt drive and rigid forks continued. They also advertised suspended, leading-link forks and a two-speed gear with chain drive. By revising the frame to suit the engine, the V-twin followed a similar format. A new tandem was announced - a forecar with twin front-wheels 4hp water-cooled engine, three-speed gearbox and shaft drive.
1905 The name is no longer recorded.