Coulson Engineering Co
of Albion Works, Albion Street, King's Cross, London
1919 Having gone out on his own, Coulson introduced his first machine, the Coulson B, in the November of that year. The special feature of the machine was the short swinging links controlled by laminated leaf springs. In most other respects it was very similar to other motorcycles of the period, but the suspension system, neatly concealed within the design, made it comfortable to ride. It had a 349cc sv Blackburne engine, two-speed Jardine gearbox and chain-cum-belt transmission, plus Druid forks. The single model soon developed into a range, including one with a Blackburne sv 545cc engine and Sturmey-Archer gearbox that was also available in sports trim with single-speed belt drive. There was also a two-stroke with a 292cc Union engine.
1920 A number of improvements were made – particularly to the stand, chain-case and gearbox attachment. That November, a Coulson and sidecar went on the London to Edinburgh run, and successfully completed the task without stopping the engine. Another publicity stunt included covering 25 miles/40km, riding on the wheel rim, deliberately minus tyre and tube, to prove the effectiveness of the spring frame.
1921 Due to lack of sales, the original company folded, but later that year the marque moved to A. W. Wall Limited of Birmingham, and Blackburne, JAP engines and a Wall-built 269cc Liberty two-stroke unit were used.
1923 The rights had been acquired by H. R. Backhouse and Co of Tyseley, who continued the 269cc Liberty model, along with sv and ohv versions of the Blackburne engine. They also introduced a rigid-frame model. By the end of the year the marque name had changed to New Coulson
Sources of Information
- The British Motorcycle Directory - Over 1,100 Marques from 1888 - by Roy Bacon and Ken Hallworth. Pub: The Crowood Press 2004 ISBN 1 86126 674 X
- The Encyclopedia of the Motorcycle by Peter Henshaw. Published 2007. ISBN 978 1 8401 3967 9