Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,144 pages of information and 233,396 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1862 established in York Street, Manchester, as joint stock bank, the Manchester & County Bank Ltd.
Another joint stock bank was also projected in Manchester in 1862 as the Northern Counties Bank Ltd. but the promoters considered that there was insufficient scope for two new banks and joined forces with the proposed new Manchester & County Bank.
1866 acquired Saddleworth Banking Co of Dobcross
1872 acquired Bank of Stockport
By 1877 there were 19 branches and 12 sub-branches.
1879 The head office moved to 55 King Street
1896 Acquired Bank of Bolton Ltd
1934 restyled County Bank Ltd.
1935 Merged with District Bank Ltd by which time there were 190 branches.
1962 District Bank was acquired by National Provincial Bank
1965 National Provincial Bank formed a merchant banking subsidiary which it called County Bank
Deregulation in the 1980s, culminating in 'Big Bang' in 1986, encouraged National Westminster Bank to enter the securities business. County Bank, originally District Bank’s merchant banking subsidiary, acquired stock-broking and jobbing firms to create NatWest Investment Bank.