Crighton and Co
See also Crighton and Son
a leading firm of textile machine-makers
- 1821 Joseph Whitworth worked here
- 1850 Listed in Slater’s Directory as Crighton & Co., machine makers, iron and brass founders of 58 Great Bridgewater Street. The 'street directory' contained in Slater’s Directory places Crighton next door to Sharp, Roberts & Co. on the south side of Great Bridgewater Street. The 1849 OS map shows a complex of buildings to the immediate west of Sharp, Roberts’ works, including a thread mill and an iron foundry. It seems likely that the foundry was Crighton’s. This was immediately alongside the branch of the Rochdale Canal which passes under Great Bridgewater Street. . Adshead's 1851 map clearly shows 'Crightons & Jackson's Machine Works' at this location 
- 1851 'The Official Catalogue of the Great Exhibition of the Works of Industry of All Nations 1851' includes an entry for Crichton & Co., Great Bridgewater Street, exhibiting a cotton opener on Hardacre's patent principle. It is likely that this is a misprint for Crighton.
- 1853 William Crighton is recorded as a 'machinist (Crighton & Co), home address 135 Radnor Street, Hulme'. Crichton & Co are listed as machinists and iron and brass founders of 58 Great Bridgewater Street.
Sources of Information
- 'The Godfrey Edition' 'Old Ordnance Survey Town Plans: Manchester Sheet 33: 'Manchester (Oxford Street & Gaythorn)' 
- 'Adshead's Twenty Four Illustrated Maps of the Township of Manchester, Corrected to the 1st May, 1851'. These maps are available on CD from the Digital Archives Association
- Whellan's Directory of Manchester & Salford, 1853