Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 137,398 pages of information and 221,179 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Cuthbert Arthur Brereton (1851-1910)
1861 His father died
1911 Obituary 
CUTHBERT ARTHUR BRERETON died at his residence, Meadowside, Cambridge Park, Twickenham, on the 12th September, 1910, aged 59.
The youngest son of Mr. John Brereton, of Brinton, Norfolk, he was educated at Clifton College, and was afterwards placed as a pupil with Mr. R. P. Brereton, of Westminster. He obtained a Whitworth Exhibition in 1871.
After the completion of his training, Mr. Brereton was appointed resident engineer to the Llynvi and Ogmore Railways and the Porthcawl Docks in South Wales. This appointment he held from 1872 to 1876.
For the three following years he was executive engineer of the Waterford, Dungarvan, and Lismore Railway. As assistant to Sir John Wolfe Barry, Past-President, he was also connected with the Lewes and East Grinstead Railway, and the City lines, Inner Circle Railway, these appointments extending to 1884.
He was in partnership with Sir John Wolfe Barry from 1893 till September, 1909, since which date Mr. Brereton had been practising at 24, Queen Anne’s Gate, Westminster. In conjunction with his partner, he was concerned with numerous undertakings, among them the construction of the Barry Docks and Railways, the Middlesbrough Docks, the Surrey Commercial Docks, the breakwater at Brixham, and with the new bridge at Kew.
Railway work also occupied a good deal of his attention, and in association with Sir John Wolfe Barry he was connected with work done on the Caledonian, North Eastern, Metropolitan, and Metropolitan District and other railways, including the Whitechapel and Bow line, and the Great Northern, Piccadilly, and Brompton tube railway. He was one of the consulting engineers for the Royal Edward Docks at Avonmouth, and for the North Eastern and Hull and Barnsley Railways joint dock at Hull. The Board of Trade appointed him to inquire into a serious accident which took place in 1907 during the widening of Blackfriars Bridge. He was a lieutenant-colonel of the Engineering and Railway Staff Corps.
Mr. Brereton was elected a Member of The Institution on the 3rd February, 1880. He served on the Council from 1900 until his death, and had been elected in April, 1910, one of the four Vice-Presidents to take office in the following November.