Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,123 pages of information and 218,941 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Darlington Railway Works, known in the town as North Road Shops, was built in 1863 by the Stockton and Darlington Railway in Darlington.
1864 The first new locomotive built. Though the railway had amalgamated with the North Eastern Railway in 1863, it continued to build its own designs for a number of years.
By 1875 the North Road Engine Works had produced 102 locomotive.
1877 the first North Eastern designs appeared.
1911 Description of the new boiler shop at the works in The Engineer 
1914 an electric locomotive was built to run between Shildon and Newport.
1923 Under the London and North Eastern Railway the works continued to play a major role, producing a new engine each week, with Gresley's K3 class 2-6-0 appearing in 1924. Both the class V2 and A1 were also built there.
By 1927 the works were the town's largest employer.
1948 After nationalisation, Darlington built both steam and diesel locomotives, including BR standard class 2. The equivalent of the LNER Class E1 0-6-0 tank locomotive had been built, virtually unchanged since 1898.
1954, during the modernisation of British Railways, the works was enlarged
1962 The BR Workshops Division was formed
1966 With rationalisation the works was run down and closed in 1966