Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,180 pages of information and 215,290 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Rumworth, Bolton
1840 Advertisement: 'Valuable Iron Foundry, Steam Engine, Machinery, Buildings Land, etc, at Daubhill Bar, near Bolton-le-Moors.
……All that Compact and Valuable ENGINEERING and MILLWRIGHT ESTABLISHMENT, IRON FOUNDRY, LAND, and PREMISES, called "Daubhill Foundry." situate in the township of Rumworth, with the steam engine of 12-horse power, boiler, mill gearing, and other mill work complete; also all the engine, wheel, and other patterns, including one of 60-horse power, now just completed, and upon the most improved principle; six large and small lathes, one a very powerful lathe, and but lately made at great expense; a superior upright drill, by Nathaniel Batho; planing machine, screwing machine, by Clark and Co.; circular saw, several tons of moulding boxes of various sizes, powerful crane, two large cupolas, two excellent fans, large grindstones, glazer, &c. &c; also large assortment of vices, tools, and other articles, in the smiths' fitting-up shop and brass shop—The whole of the above foundry, together with the counting-house and other fixtures, will be sold in one lot, and are enumerated in a catalogue to be had as below.—The buildings of a large fitting-up and pattern shop, moulding shop, brass shop, smithy for three fires, stable for three horses, shed, and counting-house. The premises comprise 9,820 square yards of land, (nearly one Cheshire acre,) including the site of the buildings, and are held for the residue of a term of years, and subject to the small yearly rent of £20 9s. 2d. There is a plentiful supply of excellent water, suitable for all condensing purposes; and clay, of a superior quality, to an almost unexhaustible extent.—The whole concern is well worth the attention of any person wishing to enter into the above business, and at a small expense may be adapted also for carrying on locomotive engine and boiler making. The premises are in a populous neighbourhood, well supplied with hands, and are surrounded by a number of collieries, where coal and cokes may be had exceedingly cheap, and adjoin to the Liverpool and Bolton Railway, and are situate within one mile of Bolton. Further particulars, and a view of the premises may be obtained on application to Mr. RUSHTON or Mr. BARTON, Solicitors, Acres Field, Bolton; or from Mr. EDWARD BARTON, 13 Temple-court, Liverpool; from all of whom, as well as at the principal inns in Bolton, catalogues may be obtained on and after the 14th. Instant. Bolton, March 5th, 1840.'