Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,168 pages of information and 223,196 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Dewrance and Co of No. 5, Barge-yard, London and 176, Great Dover-street and Kent-street, Southwark (1858)
of 158 Great Dover Street, London.
1844 Company founded. The elder John Dewrance was a partner.
1849 When Woods died the firm was continued by Dewrance, manufacturing engine and boiler accessories.
1851 After the dissolution of John Squire and Co, Dewrance continued the business at 5 Barge Yard
1858 Dissolution of the Partnership between John Dewrance and Edward Healey, carrying on business as Engineers, under the firm of John Dewrance, at No. 5, Barge-yard, in the city of London, and at No. 176, Great Dover-street and Kent-street, in the Borough of Southwark. The business carried on by the said John Dewrance alone, under the firm of John Dewrance, &c..
1859 Patent to John Dewrance, of Barge-yard, in the city of London, Engineer, in respect of the invention of "an improvement in the construction of piano forte frames."
1861 Death of John Dewrance
1878 Patent to John Dewrance (son of the elder John Dewrance) and George Henry Wall, both of 176, Great Dover-street, Borough, in the county of Surrey, in respect, of the invention of "improvements in lubricators."
1879 John Dewrance, the younger, inherited the business which had been left to him by his father.
1894 Article and illustration on a Glass Protector for Water Gauges in 'The Engineer'
1894 Catalogue of Engine and Boiler Fittings.
1912 Exhibited oil pump at the Non-Ferrous Metals Exhibition at the Royal Agricultural Halls..
1922 Maker of engine and boiler fittings and metal for bearing surfaces.
1938 Private company.
1961 General engineers. Boiler mountings and valve makers. 2,000 employees.