Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,388 pages of information and 230,040 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Steander, East Street, Leeds
The 1892 O.S. map here shows a foundry in the area identified as Steander, accessed from the lane known as Steander, which branched off East Street, near the Leeds Dam on the River Aire. On the east side of the foundry was a mill leat.
1847 Occupied by Hetherington and Thompson
1853 Occupied by James Thompson
1868 Dissolution of the Partnership between Thomas Campbell, John William Campbell, and Thomas Whiteley, as Tool Makers, at the Dolphin Foundry, East-street, Leeds, in the county of York, under the stylo or firm of Thomas Campbell, Son, and Co. All debts due settled by Thomas Whiteley.
At some point the Doplhin Foundry was moved to Saynor Street
1873 The firm of Campbells and Hunter was established.
1878 Patent by Thomas and John William Campbell and James Hunter at Dolphin Foundry, Saynor Road, Leeds
1885 Advert: 'Sale of the OLD DOLPHIN FOUNDRY ESTATE, situate in Steander, East Street, Leeds ; also of a Dwelling house, Beckett Street, Leeds. By Order of the Mortgagees.
Messrs WEBB are instructed to offer for Sale by Auction, Estate Sale Rooms, 26, Park Row, Leeds, THE "OLD DOLPHIN FOUNDRY," being valuable engineering premises, having a frontage of 95 feet to the thoroughfare called Steander, off East Street, Leeds, and embracing an area of 1770 square yards.
The premises contain covered and open yards, fitting shop 47ft, by 14 1/2ft., moulding shop 54ft. X 34ft., two turning shops each 114 ft. by 20ft smiths' shops, engine and boiler houses, model-rooms, timekeeper's house and office, counting house, private offices, small stable, &c.; also
All the valuable Fixed MACHINERY and APPLIANCES on the said premises, comprising 12 horse-power and boiler with fittings, cupola engine and fan, cupola with stage and fittings, travelling goliath with rails, chains, &c.; self-acting drilling machine, large planing machine, by Campbell & Hunter ; small planing machine ; slide turning lathe, 15ft. iron bed; gap lathe, 31 ft iron bed; a ditto, iron bed ; a ditto, 12ft. iron bed ; upright drilling machine, heavy boring lathe, large boring lathe, screwing, shaping, and slotting machines, two small turning lathes, face lathe, smiths hearths and fan, several pairs of vice with benches, shafting, drums, belting, hangers, couplings, bevel wheels, gas and water fittings, and other valuable items.....'
1907 Continued to be used by Campbells and Hunter