Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,811 pages of information and 211,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Edmund were motorcycles produced from 1910 to 1926, by a company based firstly in Crane Bank and subsequently in Milton Street, Chester.
1911 The firm introduced a conventional belt-driven single. It had a 3.5hp JAP engine and unusual suspension front and rear. The front had the fork legs able to pivot about the bottom crown, under the control of a leaf spring attached to the underside of the crown and linked to the fork ends by stays. At the rear, the saddle, footrests and fuel tank were suspended, with extra tubes and laminated leaf-springs to achieve this.
1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices of motorcycles see the 1917 Red Book
1913 A V-twin was added, along with Fafnir singles.
1916 The range had been cut to two models. One used the 2.5hp JAP engine and the other a 2.75.hp Peco. Both had two speeds, chain drive and sprung forks.
War time brought production to an end.
1920 The marque reappeared with two models. One had a 293cc JAP engine, two-speed Burman gearbox and chain-cum-belt drive. The other had a 293cc Union two-stroke engine and Enfield two-speed all-chain transmission. Both still used the patent spring frame.
1921 The two-stroke was dropped and the JAP was joined by a 348cc sv Blackburne.
1922 The two models from the previous year were now fitted with 545cc Blackburne and 348cc sleeve-valve Barr and Stroud engines. The larger was only built for that year.
1923 Other models continued and there was also the 348cc Blackburne. During that year the company suffered financial collapse, but it was quickly reformed to carry on using the same JAP, Blackburne and Barr and Stroud engines. They continued in this vein for the next few years.
1926 By that year only the 348cc sv and ohv Blackburne engines were utilised. It was to be their last year.