Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,018 pages of information and 213,092 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Edward Jones (1837-1924)
1873 of Drayton House, Trinity Road, Birchfield, Birmingham, when he joined I Mech E
1876 of Anglo-American Electric Light Co., Victoria Works, Vine Street, York Road, Lambeth, London, S.E.
1902 of Broomfield House, Perry Barr, Birmingham
1924 Obituary 
EDWARD JONES was born at Tamworth, near Birmingham, on 1st June 1837, and received his education at the Grammar School in his native town.
In 1850 he was apprenticed to Mr. Frearson, general engineer and millwright, Smethwick, Birmingham; and subsequently, in 1866, he spent some time in the works of Messrs. Nettlefold, of the same place.
Two years later he was with Messrs. E. and A. Ludlow, Belmont Row, Birmingham; and here he designed and made the first successful machines for producing solid-drawn cartridge cases for rifles. The firm's business extended rapidly, and later on developed into the National Arms and Ammunition Co., with works at Sparkbrook for the manufacture of rifles, and at Holford for ammunition. It was at the latter works at which Mr. Jones was principally engaged.
In 1876 he joined Messrs. Hookham and Ludlow, Woodstock Street, Birmingham, in the production of patent brass-headed wood screws and patent picture-cord.
Three years later, in 1879, this factory was bought by Messrs. Nettlefold and Chamberlain, and the subject of this memoir then joined the Anglo-American Brush Electric Light Co., whose works were turning out the "Brush" dynamo and the "Brush" arc-lamp.
In 1882 he was with Messrs. Greenwood and Batley, of Leeds, opening up their electrical section; and nine years later, in 1891, he was engaged with Messrs. Kynoch, of Witton, Birmingham, as chief engineer in charge of manufacture of military and sporting cartridges. From this post he retired in 1915.
He died on 21st November 1924, at Bournemouth, at the age of eighty-seven.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1873.