Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,806 pages of information and 210,387 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Ernest Samuelson (1856-1927) of Samuelson and Co
Educated at Kensington Grammar School and King's College, London
Worked two years for Earle's Shipbuilding and Engineering Co
Moved to Greenwood and Batley
1878 Joined Samuelson and Co in Banbury
1883 Appointed manager of the works
1901 Article on Power Hammers in Fielden’s Magazine Vol 4
1922 Chairman of Samuelson and Co
ERNEST SAMUELSON was educated at King's College, London, and was engaged as draughtsman in the engine works of Earle's Shipbuilding and Engineering Company at Hull.
In 1878 he went to Banbury as assistant manager at the agricultural implement works of Messrs. Samuelson and Company and in 1905 he became managing director.
In 1881 he visited Australia and New Zealand in connexion with the development of the business, and he twice visited America to study the methods of works engaged on the production of harvesting machines. During his management the works at Banbury were extended and the manufacture of blowers, engines, and flour-milling machinery undertaken.
He died on 14th May 1927 and had been a Member of the Institution since 1881.
"THE LATE MR. E. SAMUELSON.
We regret to note the sudden death, on May 13 last, at his home, Bodicote Grango, Banbury, of Mr. Ernest Samuelson, for many years chairman and managing director of Messrs. Samuelson and Company, Limited, Banbury.
Born on August 28, 1856, he received his early education at Kensington Grammar School and at King’s College School, London, and during the years from 1873 to 1875 he was a student in the Applied Sciences Department of the latter institution. He then entered, at the age of 19, the drawing office of Messrs. Earle’s Shipbuilding and Engineering Company, of Hull, and remained with this firm for two years. Subsequently, he spent some time in the shops of Messrs. Greenwood and Batley, Limited, of Leeds, and afterwards visited some of the principal engineering works in the United Kingdom. His long connection with Messrs. Samuelson and Company began in 1878, when he was appointed under manager. Two years later he became manager and, in this capacity, was engaged chiefly in the design and manufacture of agricultural machinery. In 1887, when the firm was converted into a private limited company, he was appointed managing director of the concern, a position he continued to hold until his death. Mr. Samuelson became an associate member of the Institution of Civil Engineers on December 5, 1882, and was elected to full membership on March 14, 1893. He was also a member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, having been elected in that capacity in 1881. He was a Justice of the Peace, and had held the office of High Sheriff of the County of Oxfordshire."