Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,378 pages of information and 233,851 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Barton-on-Humber, South Humberside
Torpedo were motorcycles and light cars produced from 1908 to 1915.
1880 Company established by Fred Hopper.
1880 Hopper started work on the west side of Brigg Road, initially, for an established company. This year has always been claimed as the "founding date" of the Hopper business.
1890 Produced his first bicycle, a cross frame safety, known as the Ajax.
1896 Needing money to expand, Hopper sold his business to a Hull investment company and was retained as manager. This lasted for less than one year.
1897 Hopper opened a new factory on Butts Road – later used as the Drill Hall. This new company was known as the M. S. and L. Cycle Manufacturing Co
1898 The Hull investment company failed due to a national slump in bicycle sales and the assets were bought back by Hopper and his business partners.
During the Edwardian years Hopper built up a successful export business using overseas agents, as well as increasing his share of the domestic market.
From 1903 production gradually relocated to new factory buildings between Pasture Road and Marsh Lane, known as St Mary’s Works.
1903 Hopper began to import NSU motorcycles.
1905 The Brigg Road office was built
1907 Became a limited company to enable funds to be raised for expansion. The three main shareholders were Fred Hopper, Henry Wilson, a solicitor with a practice in Hull, and Gilbert Nowell, a local solicitor.
1910 The Torpedo was first seen at the Olympia show. It was intended to use a 4.25 Fafnir engine, but this was changed to 2.5hp and 3.5hp Precision engines, with belt drive and Druid forks. Later came a 4.25hp model with hub gears and a 190cc lightweight.
1913 Elswick-Hopper Cycle and Motor Co was formed – the flotation was not successful and a receiver was appointed to oversee financial reconstruction.
1914 Directors: F. Hopper, J.P. (Managing Director), H. Wilson, J.P. G. H. Nowell, and W. Tomlinson. Secretary: C. A. Goldthorp.