Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,318 pages of information and 216,336 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Fred Greenall (1886-1938)
1938 Obituary 
FRED GREENALL, M.B.E., was sales engineer to Messrs. Hunt and Mitton, of Birmingham, for whom he acted as sole London representative. He was born in London in 1886, and in 1901 he commenced his six years' apprenticeship with Messrs. Humphreys, Tennant and Company, Ltd. He received his technical education at the Goldsmith's College, New Cross, and was later selected to take charge of tests during the trial trip of the Japanese flagship Kashima.
He then joined the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company as assistant engineer; he was subsequently promoted to be third engineer on mail ships and eventually obtained his Chief Engineer's Board of Trade Certificate. During 1913-14 he was employed by Messrs. Yarrow and Company, Ltd., in their experimental shop, and by Messrs. Gwynnes, of Hammersmith, as a draughtsman; he was engaged on the standardization of pump components.
He joined the Aeronautical Inspection Directorate in 1915 and was placed in charge of the inspection of component parts for aeroplanes, and of the completed machines. Subsequently he was made officer in charge of the aeronautical branch drawing office, later becoming officer in charge of the kit and tool workshops, and inspector of the equipment made in them. In addition he designed and supervised the erection of workshops for manufacturing fine measuring tools and apparatus used in aeronautical inspection.
He was awarded the M.B.E. in recognition of his services. In 1920 he joined Messrs. Babcock and Wilcox, Ltd., as an engineer in charge of erection, and six years later he commenced his association with Messrs. Hunt and Mitton, with whom he remained until his death, which occurred in London on 9th February 1938.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1920.