Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,742 pages of information and 213,800 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Gwynnes Ltd of Hammersmith, engineers specialising in centrifugal pumps for small or large quantities of liquid, for low or high heads.
1903 J. and H. Gwynne took over their close competitor Gwynne and Co which company had belonged to James E. Gwynne, brother of John (chairman of J. and H. Gwynne). The business and machines would be transferred from premises in Brooke Street to Hammersmith. This would reduce competition and strengthen the business. The name of the company was changed to Gwynnes Ltd.
1914 Hydraulic machine makers, salvage pumping machinery manufacturers, steam engine makers, turbine makers.
WWI: Under government instructions, manufactured and were sole licensees for Clerget aero-engines. Also produced pumps for Admiralty and War Office. The business expanded substantially but insufficient provision was made for tax due on profits, which resulted in liquidation of the company several years later.
1920 Incorporated into Gwynnes Engineering Co.
1927 See also Gwynnes Pumps
1960 Became Allen-Gwynnes