Frederick Robert Charles Rouse
Frederick Robert Charles Rouse (1883-1938)
wwI MunitionS work for the Admiralty; establishED an Aniline Dye Manufacturing Co. in London Area.
1917 Inspector of Ordnance Machinery in France till June, 1919.
1938 Obituary 
Frederick Robert Charles Rouse was general manager to Venner Time Switches, Ltd., an appointment which he received only a few months before his death, which occurred on 5th April 1938.
Mr. Rouse was born in London in 1883 and received his technical education at Finsbury Technical College. In 1901 he was engaged in the testing department of the Davy Electrical Construction Company, Ltd., and a year later he joined the British Engineering Company, Ltd., of which he subsequently became works manager, with responsibility for the production of switchgear and arc lamps. He was employed with Messrs. Frampton and Paine, electrical engineers, of Westminster, from 1904 to 1910, and was chiefly concerned with the design of switchgear. In the latter year he began his association with the Venner Company as chief of the technical staff.
During the War he joined the Army as an inspector of ordnance machinery, holding the rank of lieutenant, and served in France with the light mobile workshops. Subsequently he became managing director of Messrs. Rouse and Graseby, Ltd., manufacturers of bottle-washing machinery, but returned to the Venner Company, now known as Venner Time Switches, Ltd., in 1924. For about a year he acted as technical assistant to the managing director, and was later promoted to be technical manager. He was responsible for the layout of a complete new factory for the manufacture of time switches, clocks, and prepayment meters, and for carrying out special Admiralty contracts, and he initiated modern methods of production based on his observations during visits to the Continent in the firm's interests. In 1937 he was made general manager.
Mr. Rouse was elected a Graduate of the Institution in 1901 and served on the London Graduates' Committee from 1907 to 1911, when he was elected Hon. Secretary of the Section. He was transferred to Associate Membership in the same year, and to Membership in 1935. He was also an Associate Member of the Institution of Electrical Engineers.