Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,314 pages of information and 227,857 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Sands Lane, Fulham
Also known as Imperial Gasworks
1824 Built by the Imperial Gas Light and Coke Co. It first operated as a holder station, with Samuel Clegg as its first engineer. The works was connected to the Kensington Canal which was used to transport coal to the plant.
1829 Commenced manufacture of gas
1862 Docks were built on the canal.
1899 A CWG (Carburetted Water Gas) plant was added.
The works was always known for its innovative design and methods and for a while had the largest holders in existence.
From 1908 to 1917 low gravity gas was made in a separate plant and distributed to Hurlingham for use in Balloons both for leisure and wartime activity.
1911 the Gas Light and Coke Co built its first workshop and transport depot at Fulham
1916 A mantle burning-off factory was added
1920 A Benzole motor spirit loading station was added.
From 1926 the coal arrived at a riverside wharf from sea going colliers.
1927 a new Research Laboratory was built; this was extended in 1942 and 1955.