G. Rennie and Co
of Thames St., Greenwich (1907)
Successors to J. and G. Rennie
1890 J. and G. Rennie was wound up
c.1898 John Assheton Rennie took over the management of the family business in Greenwich. The ordinary civil engineering work came to an end but the shipyard and engine work continued.
c.1903 The works were rebuilt
1903 Death of John Keith Rennie
1904 The firm made steel gunboats, steamers, floating docks, pontoons, yachts, etc.
Perhaps the last contract undertaken by Rennie's was that for the construction of six of the forty Thames passenger steamers for the London County Council, when an attempt was made in about 1903 or 1904 to revive Thames passenger traffic.
With the decline of shipbuilding on the River Thames, John Assheton Rennie moved to Wivenhoe, in Essex, where he took over the old Forrest Shipbuilding Yard and renamed it the Rennie-Forrest yard, continuing to build river vessels and coasters for the Crown Agents for the Colonies and others.
Later known as the Rennie Forrest (sic) Shipbuilding and Dry Docks Co.