Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,412 pages of information and 217,030 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Lt-Col. George Robert Harland Bowden (1873-1927) of G. Harland Bowden and Co
1910 The partnership was dissolved by mutual consent; G. Harland Bowden would continue the business in London; Anderson and Atchley would continue the business in partnership in Manchester and Glasgow as Harland Engineering Co
1927 Obituary 
Lieut.-Colonel GEORGE ROBERT HARLAND BOWDEN, whose death occurred on 10th October 1927 was the founder and head of Messrs. G. Harland Bowden and Company, consulting engineers of Victoria Street, London, and had been the Unionist Member of Parliament for North-East Derbyshire from 1914 to 1918.
He was apprenticed at the age of 15 at Lord Durham's Lambton Collieries and attended technical classes at Durham College of Science.
In 1890 he went to Tondu, Glamorgan, as improver at the ironworks, and the following year became assistant engineer and chief draughtsman at the Merthyr Tydfil iron and steel works of Messrs. Crawshay Brothers.
In 1896 he became manager, and later a partner, with Messrs. D. Selby Bigge and Company of Newcastle-on-Tyne.
Col. Bowden founded the firm bearing his name in 1902 and was responsible for the design and installation of many important colliery and factory plants.
He was born at Durham in 1873 and became a Member of the Institution in 1908.
THE LATE LIEUT.-COLONEL G. R. HARLAND BOWDEN.
The news of the sudden death of Lieut.-Colonel George Robert Harland Bowden at Rodney, St. Albans, on October 10 last, will be received with regret not only in engineering but also in parliamentary circles. Colonel Bowden, who was the founder and head of Messrs. G. Harland Bowden and Company, consulting electrical and mechanical engineers, of 17, Victoria-street, London, S.W.l, had been the Unionist Member of Parliament for North-East Derbyshire from 1914 to 1918.
He was born at Washington, Durham, on January 1, 1873, and received his general education at St. Bedes School, Durham. At the age of 15, he entered upon an apprenticeship at Lord Durham’s Lambton Collieries (now the Lambton, Hetton and Joicey Collieries, Limited), and was engaged on work in connection with the erection and installation of boilers, engines, pumps and constructional ironwork. During his training period he attended technical lectures and classes at Durham College of Science. In 1890 he was appointed improver at the ironworks, at Tondu, Glamorgan, of Messrs. North’s Navigation Collieries (1889), Limited.
A year later, in 1891, he became assistant engineer and chief draughtsman at the iron and steel works, at Merthyr Tydvil, of Messrs. Crawshay Brothers Cyfarthfa, Limited, and continued to occupy this position until 1895. He was there responsible for the design and erection of various important installations, including rolling mills, mill engines, Bessemer and blast-furnace plant, together with blowing engines, condensing plant, bridge and railway construction, and a variety of auxiliary plant. In 1896, the young engineer was appointed manager for Messrs. D. Selby Bigge and Company, Newcastle-on-Tyne, and later became a partner in the firm. Colonel Bowden commenced to practice on his own account in 1902, and founded the firm of Messrs. G. Harland Bowden and Company in that year. During the years which followed he was responsible for the design and installation of coal-conveying plant, boilers, engines, condensing and water-treatment plants, forced and induced draught installations, electric-power and other plant, at many important factories and works throughout the country.
An enthusiastic territorial officer, Colonel Bowden was for some years commandant of the 1st Herts Battery, R.F.A. (T.). He retired with the rank of major, in February, 1914. At the outbreak of war, however, he returned to the colours, and was appointed Lieut.-Colonel commanding the 17th battalion of the Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) towards the end of 1914 ; he relinquished the command in 1915.
Colonel Bowden was invited to stand as the Conservative candidate for North-East Derbyshire in 1912, and succeeded in winning the seat at a by-election in May, 1914.
He continued to represent the constituency until 1918, when he was defeated. At the election in December, 1924, he again stood as the Unionist candidate but was unsuccessful.
A previous member of the Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders in Scotland, Colonel Bowden was elected to full membership of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in 1908. He became a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1904.