Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,427 pages of information and 211,664 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Rolf (1865-1925)
1925 Obituary 
GEORGE ROLF was born at Harbottle, Northumberland, on 22nd September 1865, and was educated partly at Bruce's School, Newcastle-on-Tyne, and partly at the Grammar School, Market Risen, Lincs.
He served his apprenticeship from 1882 to 1889 with Messrs. J. Ridley and Co., engineers, Newcastle-on-Tyne, and on leaving he increased his knowledge of gas-engine matters by spending some little time with the Beck Gas Engine Co.
In 1889 he joined the firm of Messrs. Ernest Scott and Co. (afterwards Ernest Scott and Mountain Ltd.), electrical and mechanical engineers, also of Newcastle-on-Tyne, to become manager of their electrical department, and subsequently general manager. During his tenure of this position he was responsible for a great deal of pioneer work in the application of electricity for mining and other industrial purposes.
In 1897 he went to Havana in the firm's interests to raise the floating dock which had been built on the Tyne for the Spanish Government and had sunk in the harbour, and although this was a difficult task, thought in some quarters to be impossible, he accomplished it successfully.
In 1908 he started in practice as a consulting engineer in Newcastle-on-Tyne, and during the following seven years was concerned in carrying out many important electrical and other installations in collieries in the North.
In 1915 his services were requisitioned by the Ministry of Munitions, in connexion with work undertaken by Messrs. Armstrong Whitworth and Co., of Elswick, Newcastle-on-Tyne, and in a few months he was appointed chief hydraulic engineer and became responsible for the ordering and testing of equipment in the national shell factories. For the control of this work, his office was transferred from Elswick to the quarters of the Ministry of Munitions i n Newcastle, and later on to Whitehall.
In 1920 he resumed his consulting practice.
His death occurred on 30th June 1925.
He became an Associate Member of this Institution in 1897.