Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,469 pages of information and 233,894 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway was a company, in Scotland, which built and ran what is now known as the Glasgow South Western Line.
1846 The line was authorised on 13 August 1846 and was constructed between 1846 and 1850. It ran from Gretna junction on the Caledonian Railway to an end-on junction with the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway at Old Cumnock.
1850 the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway and the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway companies merged to form the Glasgow and South Western Railway. The Glasgow and South Western Railway then expanded to cover much of the area of south west Scotland. It existed until 1923.
1923 became a constituent company of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway.