Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,464 pages of information and 233,889 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
This line was built to connect together lines in the West and the East of Glasgow. The line runs mostly in tunnels built using the cut and cover method of construction. At its western end, it connects to the Stobcross Railway at Kelvinhaugh Junction, and its southern end is connected to the City of Glasgow Union Railway at High Street West Junction.
Having received the Royal Assent in 1882, the line opened on 15 March 1886.
Connections to other lines
1892 Opening of Bridgeton Cross Extension, which was a short branch from High Street station, providing a useful terminus in the east of the city, rather than having trains terminate (and block platforms) at Glasgow Queen Street Low Level. The Bridgeton Cross station consisted of two terminal