Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 126,213 pages of information and 198,047 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Graham Morton Stevenson (1860-1939)
1939 Obituary 
"GRAHAM MORTON STEVENSON was a pioneer in the introduction of electric tinplate rolling into South Wales, where he was in business for many years as a consulting engineer. The son and grandson of engineers, he was born at Airdrie, Lanarkshire, in 1860, and was educated at Gartsherrie Academy, Coatbridge, and at the West of Scotland Technical College. He served a five years' apprenticeship, commencing in 1876, at the Airdrie Engine Works of Messrs. Dick and Stevenson, and from 1881 to 1883 he was employed as a draughtsman by Messrs. J. and H. Gwynne, Ltd., at Hammersmith, London. He then returned to Scotland to take charge of one of the workshops of the Monkland Iron Co, at Calderbank, and in 1884 was made works manager of Messrs. Dick and Stevenson's works at Airdrie. In 1888 he went to the United States and was employed for a year in the Carnegie steel works at Pittsburg.
Returning to England in 1890, he took up the position of chief draughtsman to the Electric Construction Corporation, of West Drayton. He went to South Wales in 1891 as engineering manager to Messrs. R. Nevill and Company, Ltd., at the Wern Iron Works, Llanelly. In the early years of the present century he established his own business as a consultant, with offices in Cardiff and Llanelly.
In addition to his work in connection with tinplate rolling mills, he gave expert witness at numerous civil actions on engineering and valuation issues. He gave up his practice in 1916 and went to Birmingham to take charge of special work for the War Office, on which he was engaged until 1919. During the following year, at the end of which he retired, he carried out valuations for Messrs. Michael Faraday, Rogers and Eller. Mr. Stevenson's death occurred at his home at Bournemouth on 10th November 1939. He had been a Member of the Institution since 1902."