Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,062 pages of information and 218,544 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
HMS Hardy (F54) was an anti-submarine warfare frigate of the Blackwood class (Type 14).
She was named, as were the other HMS Hardy's, after Thomas Masterman Hardy Captain of HMS Victory at Trafalgar.
HMS Hardy was the first Type 14 frigate built, completed on 8 December 1955, by Yarrow and Co. The after 40 mm gun in these ships were removed early in their careers due to hull strengthening problems. Serving mainly in the Londonderry and Portland areas, she paid off to the Standby Squadron August 1977, then, after another short spell operational service at Portland, became a stores accommodation ship in Portsmouth October 1979. She was used as a target for Exocet missiles and was finally sunk, by torpedo, in the Western Approaches 3 July 1984.