Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,274 pages of information and 218,946 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
HMS Nelson was a flag-ship of the old Duke of Wellington; she had 121 guns, the last wooden three-decker built for the Royal Navy, and was first commissioned during the Crimean War
The following HMS Nelson was a Nelson-class armoured cruiser of the Royal Navy, built by John Elder and Co, Govan, Scotland and launched in 1876, commissioned in 1881, and sold for scrapping in 1910.. The Nelson was built in Glasgow and completed in 1880. She was 280ft long, 60ft beam, and 7630 tons displacement. Her engines, by Elders, gave her a speed of fourteen knots. She was sheathed with zinc. Her side armour was 9in. and 6in. thick. She was stated in Brassey's "Naval Annual" to carry four 18-ton muzzle-loading guns, eight 12-ton muzzle-loaders, four 4.7in quick-fire guns and twenty quick firing guns of small calibre, eight machine guns, and one boat gun.