Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 137,416 pages of information and 221,179 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
H.M.S. Tiger. (1913)
"The last coal-burning capital ship in the Royal Navy is now to be broken up. H.M.S. “ Tiger ” will be withdrawn from service when she returns to Dovonport on March 31st, from the spring cruise of the Atlantic Fleet. She will be tie-stored and paid off, but sufficient stores will be left on board for the voyage to Rosyth, where the gun turrets will be removed. As far as possible, the ship will be made ready for sale at Devonport before the voyage to the North.
The “ Tiger ” was laid down in 1912 by John Brown and Co., Ltd., at Clydebank, and launched in December, 1913. She was completed in October, 1914, but her trials were curtailed owing to the war. She is equipped with eight 13-5in. guns, twelve 6in., a number of smaller guns, and four submerged broadside torpedo tubes, anti is driven by direct-drive Brown-Curtis turbines on four screws. Her maximum speed is 29 knots, and her displacement 28,500 tons. It is interesting to note that although she has a very great fuel capacity—6280 tons of coal and oil—it does not give her any great radius of action, owing to her high fuel consumption. She cost £2,087,491 and was refitted in 1920 and again in 1922-1923.
She is being scrapped under the terms of the London Treaty, under which she had to be rendered unfit for warlike service within 18 months of the Treaty coming into force—that is, June 30th, 1932. Her destruction is, therefore, likely to be about a year ahead of time. During the war she belonged to the squadron commanded by Admiral Beatty."