Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,124 pages of information and 233,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1852 The Harrow works were built.
The area of Harrow's works doubled between 1906 and 1915, from 2.5 to 5 acres.
1924 The Harrow and Stanmore undertaking was absorbed by the Brentford Gas Co, who upgraded the plant with a complete gasification system.
1926 the Gas Light and Coke Co. acquired the Brentford Company.
1931 In order to cope with the need for extra gas storage, the GLCC constructed a 4 million cu. ft. waterless holder at the Harrow site in 1931. However, the environmental impact of the holder, namely the spoiling of the view from Harrow Hill, led to protests, notably from Harrow School's headmaster. The holder remained but was painted with an unusual camouflage effect.
1954 The works closed on March 31st 1954, but the site remained as a holder station.